[asterisk-users] IAX unstable with large number of calls?

Simon Woodhead woodheads at esms.com
Wed Aug 16 00:44:23 MST 2006

Hi Curt,

That probably suggests that with SIP they're handing off the RTP to their
upstream provider and just dealing with the signalling which is very low
overhead. With IAX they have to transport both unless they're
interconnecting upstream by IAX and can transfer. In my experience the load
is about the same for IAX or SIP+RTP and limited [on a single box] by the
specification of the box itself. Whilst I risk being shot down, I'd be wary
of any provider who isn't themselves handling the RTP for a multitude of
quality reasons (and just because that is what you're paying them for), as
well as one who quotes capacities in single box terms.

Simon