[asterisk-users] g.711 Codec Question

Michael J. Tubby G8TIC mike.tubby at thorcom.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 16:30:43 MST 2006

Dave,

QAs far as I remember it, it goes like this... if your inside phone is
*only* G711-alaw and your trunk (SIP or IAX) is *only G711-ulaw that at
session negotiation (call setup) Asterisk will woprk out that it has to
remain "in the loop" and transcode.

If you run-up asterisk and bother to watch the start-up debug messages then
it shows you the relative costs (in terms of CPU utilisation per call) for
the various transcoding between codecs.  From recollection G.711-Alaw to
G.711-Ulaw is relatively inexpensive with a cost of "1" ...

Regards

Mike