[asterisk-users] Run As User Asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Aug 15 05:25:02 MST 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 09:44:39PM -0400, Forrest Beck wrote:
> Does anyone have a listing on file/directories that asterisk needs
> ownership of to run as a user other than root?
>
> I know about the major items --- /etc/asterisk, /var/spool/asterisk/,
> /var/lib/asterisk, etc...  Anyone have a script to fix all the
> directories?

/etc/asterisk needs to be readable to asterisk. Except voicemail.conf
(or if you wish to allow asterisk to re-write extensions.conf). As it
has various files with passwords, it is generally a good idea to make it
non-accessible to "others".

Generally /var/*/asterisk (/var/log/asterisk , /var/lib/asterisk ,
/var/run/asterisk) should be of the asterisk user. You can use some
finer tuning.

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org