[asterisk-users] 1 way audio. Dual NIC's.

William Piper william.piper at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 20:36:11 MST 2006

List,

I have been using asterisk for a while now & finally ran into the problem
that I hear so often... "one way audio".

We were using our asterisk server with 1 NIC and a Public IP with multiple
ATA's all in different locations with no problems at all. We have now
decided to migrate our existing PBX to Asterisk. So I installed & configured
a second NIC with a Private IP and configured a few ATA's on the same
network with the NIC. The private NIC was configured with Gateway address
of 0.0.0.0 so all the traffic would go out through to the public NIC instead
of being rerouted through the NAT. All seems to work perfectly, I can make
calls to the PSTN just fine (through one of our SIP carriers), but incoming
calls from the PSTN (through a SIP carrier) have only 1 way audio.

When I call from one extension to another, it's fine... when I call from
extension to pstn, it's fine... but PSTN to SIP device has 1 way audio. I
tried turning off IPtables, but that made no difference. It still works fine
when connecting to the public IP address instead of the private one.

Does anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Here is what I'm using for my SIP entry:

[214]
type=friend
host=dynamic
context=blahblah