[asterisk-users] Sending INVITE to an unavailable phone - Bug?

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Mon Aug 14 15:28:11 MST 2006

I thought I'd bounce this around here before I opened a bug.

Phone A makes a call to phone B. Phone B is still registered, but is physically turned off.

Asterisk takes the INVITE message from phone A.

Now,

1) It sends RINGING back to phone A before it has even sent an INVITE to phone B. Why does it do that? How does it know phone B is available? If phone B is not available, it should never send RINGING back to phone A.
2) It sends the INVITE to phone B. It then re-transmits the INVITE at least 3 times to phone B, all the while sending RINGING back to phone A. It just ocurred to me that Asterisk is using UDP for it's SIP messaging. This would explain why it doesn't know that phone B is not available. If it was using TCP, it would receive an instant connection failure, and would be able to stop sending RINGING to phone B.

So, now I am wondering if anything can be done about this, given we're using UDP?

Doug.