[asterisk-users] Re: Cisco 7970 MWI not working (Was: Problem with Cisco7970 SIP load / call transfer)

Michael J. Tubby G8TIC mike.tubby at thorcom.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 08:09:01 MST 2006

Juha,

I am running the same version of Cisco 7970 SIP firmware and having the same
problem with periodic 400 "Bad Request" responses from it when Asterisk
sends MWI updates for a voicemail box...

    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187
    -- Got SIP response 400 "Bad Request" back from 192.168.144.187

so, Cisco have changed what they are expecing in the SIP headers for the MWI
to work...?

My hunch is that they are wanting an @<ipaddress of server> somewhere in the
notification as this would be consistent with the other changes that they
have made for resillience when the phone talks to more than one CallManager
5.x server in SIP mode -- hence why people are commenting on the @<ip
address> turning up in caller id.  Actually it makes sense if there are to
be multiple servers supporting a HA phone system because when you have a
missed call and hit the "call them back" button you probably do need to do
it in the context of the call you missed (ie. via the server that Invited
you).

That being said the MWI not working is a pain!  Does anyone on the list have
the ability to capture working SIP MWI notifications from a CallManager 5.x
talking to a Cisco 7960 phone running SIP 8.0.2 using Ethereal (or some
other packet sniffing tool) so we can see what the SIP looked like and fix
(patch) Asterisk???

Regards

Mike