[asterisk-users] High Availability with PRI failover

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Mon Aug 14 02:50:56 MST 2006

>Anybody has first-hand experience with any (or both) of these options?
>Are there any other possibilites that I'm missing? Some other
>foneBRIDGE-like product I still haven't heard of?
>
>Thanks in advance

Another option would be to get a "carrier grade" VoIP <-> PRI gateway. I
have an Audiocodes 4 E1s (extensible to 8 E1s) working here, and it'll
use whatever channels are up so if I have a red alarm on one of the T2s
it's not a big deal.

Features power redundancy and network redundancy as well, which is nice.
Built in codec translation and adequate echo cancellation is a plus.  It
also means you can add more servers without adding PRI cards (since you
communicate with the gateway using SIP).

Of course this doesn't protect you from the gateway going down, but
usually these things are fairly robust, solid state devices... they're a
little bit expensive, but in my experience worth every penny.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.