[asterisk-users] SIP header challenge

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Aug 12 09:22:40 MST 2006

Mr. Jones wrote:
> This is essentially a follow-up to my previous email on the 404 I was
> seeing with my DIDs.
>
> I think it maybe more involved with the SIP headers I'm receiving from
> the company providing my origination.
>
> Here's what's interesting.
>
> I have inbound 800 service and outbound termination from provider A.
> This is working great. I don't have anything specific configured in
> sip.conf, and the dialed 800 number matches an entry in
> extensions.conf - everything works great.
>
> With provider B who is providing my nationwide origination I'm having
> some challenges. I'm having to extract the SIP header and modify it
> then pass it into a macro to actually route it to extensions. Its not
> so pretty.
>
> In digging into the SIP headers I've noticed the following.
>
> The first sample is from Provider "A" and works:
>
> To: <sip:8005551212 at 66.123.123.6:5060>;tag=as6519d118
>
> I also noticed the "Contact" header seems to be filled in:
>
> Contact: <sip:8005551212 at 66.123.123.6>
>
>> From provider B:
>
> To: <sip:3125551212 at 66.123.123.6;user=phone>;tag=as7154d7ed
>
> Contact: <sip:s at 66.123.123.6>
>
> So I guess my question is two fold:
>
> 1. What sets the "Contact" field - Asterisk, or the sending machine?
> 2. Would the ;user=phone and the lack of a port number be causing
> Asterisk not to set the exten properly?

In your sip.conf register statement for provider A, do you have
something like /8005551212 at the end of that statement?

Do you have a similar /8005551212 at the end of the register statement
for provider B?

If not, try those.

The /8005551212 at the end is sent by your provider to your asterisk box
and is intended to be used as an extn number in your dialplan. You can
put anything you want behind the "/", but it must match an extn number
defined in your dialplan.

See the examples in asterisk/configs/sip.conf.sample

If the above does not work with provider B, then you might want to talk
to them to see what they do support.