[asterisk-users] multiple offices / hard phones / service provider

Joseph Ellis joee at lithodyne.net
Fri Aug 11 14:14:27 MST 2006

I have asterisk set up for testing right now.  I want to roll it out in
production to utilize it in several offices.  I have a few questions so this
email might seem all over the place.

The topology is pretty simple.  There are a total of three offices.  The
main office has the asterisk server and phone extensions.  Branch One and
Two just have hard phones with phone extensions.

The first question is about multiple office locations.  I can treat these
office locations as extensions as if they were in the same physical office.
But I'll also have local numbers for those offices and when those local
numbers are called I want them to go to that particular office.  What is the
best way to handle the local phone number for the local offices, with one
asterisk server?

My next question is about phones and the call waiting configuration in
asterisk.  If I'm on the phone and someone else tries to call me they go
straight to voicemail.  I want the ability to be on the phone and be
notified that another call is waiting for me instead of going straight to
voicemail, as it does right now.  There's two parts to the call waiting.
One part is another extension trying to call me and the other part is an
outside call trying to reach me, both go to voicemail when I'm on the phone.
What configuration would I need to change and what hard phone can handle
such a request?  I need to buy about 10 hard phones and want to get an idea
of what's a good buy.

My last question is about a service provider.  I'm currently using voipjet
for outgoing calls but they are not for end users and I think I should
change to an end user provider.  I have no problems with voipjet other than
reading a recent post that they do not allow end users.  I do not have a
service provider for incoming calls yet.  I'm currently using a POTS line
for incoming but that will change as I want a pure VOIP system.  Who would
you recommend for incoming and outgoing for asterisk?