[asterisk-users] Asterisk IAXmodem HylaFax?

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Fri Aug 11 10:46:04 MST 2006

Damon Estep wrote:

> According to the wiki page
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+IAXmodem
>

> There are a couple of ways to integrate Asterisk and HylaFax with
> IAXmodem;
>

>     * IAXmodem as HylaFax modem, both HylaFax and Asterisk on the same
>       machine

In my opinion this is the ideal way to run Asterisk+IAXmodem+HylaFAX.
If your situation does not permit this, then yes, there are alternatives.

>     * IAXmodem in conjunction with termnetd+ttyd from the termpkg
>       package (HylaFax and IAXmodem on distant machines)
>
> Does anyone have any experience that they would be willing to share
> with the load and/or other performance caveats using termnetd+ttyd to
> connect call origination on an Asterisk box with HylaFax on another box?
>
> Is it better to just get another PRI and card and run another instance
> of Asterisk on the HylaFax box, or is the combination of IAXmodem,
> termnetd, and ttyd lightweight enough to not have this concern?

In my experience getting the termnetd/ttyd connection to be resiliant
(i.e. what does it do if the connectivity drops and then comes back up
later) is not a trivial matter.

The other alternative, if you have a typical LAN connection between the
HylaFAX box and the Asterisk box, is to run IAXmodem connections over
the LAN - so your iaxmodem instances are on the HylaFAX box
communicating over the LAN with the Asterisk box.  In my experience you
really shouldn't experience any jitter on a LAN, and if you do then you
probably have network problems.  I find this to be a better option than
the termnetd/ttyd option in cases where it can be used (i.e. LANs).

IAXmodem and HylaFAX proper should not cause much load or performance
degredation at all... so little that you can probably neglect it.
However, the parts where you do need to worry about load/performance is
to do with image conversion... what you do with the received TIFF image
*after* it's received... what kinds of incoming documents are handled
and how, etc.

Lee.