[asterisk-users] can i detect a voice with asterisk ?

shawn bright nephish at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 07:59:27 MST 2006

Hey there all,

i have an app that calls our customers when the status of their machines
change. I am using a Zap channel to dial out on an analog line.
I do this by putting a drop.call file in /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing and
connecting it to an extension which fires up a python script.
the problem is, i cant really detect when an outgoing call is answered and
the script (or asterisk) assumes a connection as soon as the call is placed.
So.....
is there a way that asterisk can detect when someone speaks ? Like answering
a phone? i dont need speech recognition or anything like that, just
something that lets me know that any sound is originating from the other
end.

if someone has an idea, i would appreciate it much.
thanks

sk