[asterisk-users] Snom MWI

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Aug 9 10:30:38 MST 2006

>Anyone having issues with the message waiting indicator and retrieve
>button on SNOM 320's and 360's.

When the MWI light is not lit on a 360, and the user hits the voicemail
button, the Snom phone dials the extension 'unknown', 'default' or
'asterisk'. If you don't have an "unknown" etc extension in your dialplan
your get "Forbidden". To cover this, you need these lines in a context that
is accessible to all the phones:

exten => default,1,VoicemailMain()
exten => asterisk,1,VoicemailMain()
exten => unknown,1,VoicemailMain()
exten => Unknown,1,VoicemailMain()

Also in the Snom setup web page you have to map whatever keystroke you use
for voicemail in the line setup. For example, in Line 1, under the
definition for Voicemail, you put in *98 or whatever you normally use to
access voicemail *without* a voicemail key (*98 is standard in North America
and is I believe the default for a Trixbox-style distribution)

>Also... I have a sidecar on a SNOM 360, I have
>extensions programmed on it, yet the only lines that flash are the lines
>where the phones are offline.

Ensure the key type for your like mapping is set to type: "Destination" and
the extension number of the phone is set in the "Number" field. Once you
submit the form on the setup webpage, the phone should expand the entry to
something like:

<sip:5555 at asteriskipaddress;user=phone>

Also you have to make sure your hints in the dialplan are setup correctly.

Hints for the sidecar are a bit tricky; I have found that it works best to
have the 'hint' priority directly underneath the definition for the
extension:

exten => 5555,1,Dial(SIP/5555,25)
exten => 5555,2,Voicemail(5555)
exten => 5555,hint,SIP/5555