[asterisk-users] Problems with Codecs in Asterisk

Chan Kwang Mien kwangmien at asgent-tech.com
Tue Aug 8 07:40:31 MST 2006

 From the SIP messages exchange, sip1 informs Asterisk in the INVITE
message that it supports g.729 and g.711u. Asterisk then compares its
first allowed codec which is g.729 with the supported codec by sip1. Since
sip1 supports g.729 and it is an "allowed" codec, Asterisk chooses g.729
as the codec between itself and sip1.

Asterisk then forwards the INVITE message but the codec in the INVITE is
changed to g.711u. sip3 replied that it supports g.711u in the OK message.
Asterisk then realised that the codec between itself and sip3 is different
from the codec between itself and sip1. There is a need for transcoding.
And since there isn't any g.729 Licence, the connection breaks.

In short, once Asterisk is sure that the first codec of the allowed list
is supported by sip1, it will use that codec and will ignore the remaining
codec, in this case, g.711u.

Intuitively, I thought that since sip1 supports both g.729 and g.711u, it
should be able to connect to a g.729 phone or a g.711u phone via Asterisk
using the same sip.conf.