[asterisk-users] [Solution] Call Asterisk from GoogleTalk and have it tell you the status of your IAX2 links.

Matt Riddell (NZ) matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Sat Aug 5 08:26:55 MST 2006

After following the instructions for getting GoogleTalk to talk with
Asterisk using Matt O'Gorman's code and Farruk Ahmed's howTo (
http://www.sineapps.com/news.php?rssid=1407 ) I have been using the
Jabber and Jingle additions in the SVN Trunk version of Asterisk and
have come up with a cool idea.

Basically, you can call your Asterisk server from GoogleTalk, and it can
send you the status of a few of your other servers.

All you have to do is set up an account in jingle.conf, i.e.:

[voipproducts]
username=voipproducts at gmail.com
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
context=checkStatus
connection=asterisk

Where voipproducts at gmail.com is my googleTalk address (the one I will be
calling from).

Then set up a few simple accounts in iax.conf, i.e.:

[fv2fv1]
type=friend
host=freevoip.gedameurope.com
secret=mysecret
qualify=yes

where freevoip.gedameurope.com is the host I want to monitor.

Then add a bit of extensions.conf:

[checkStatus]
exten => s,1,NoOp(Incoming Call from VoIPProducts at gmail.com)
exten =>
s,2,JABBERSend(asterisk,voipproducts at gmail.com,freevoip.gedameurope.com
status is ${IAXPEER(fv2fv1:status)})

Then reload.

Assuming you have set up Asterisk to appear as a google talk contact,
all you then have to do is call Asterisk (in my case using my
VoIPProducts at gmail.com address), it will send the call to checkStatus
and then reply with the IAX2 ping time in a message!

Cool yeah?  Oh yeah, and you could add as many of the s,2 lines as you
like, i.e. s,3 might tell you the status of another server (I currently
have it giving me a report on 10 servers, just by using GoogleTalk).

:)

- --
Cheers,

Matt Riddell