[asterisk-users] Detecting voicemail from CO on FXO

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 15:01:53 MST 2006

> Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:46:24 -0400
> From: "C F" <shmaltz at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Re: [asterisk-users] Detecting voicemail from CO on FXO
>         port
> To: "Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion"
>         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> Paul I don't know why you are overcomplicating things. Just like
> asterisk can do the MWI for FXS it should be able to pick up the MWI
> form the Telco on an FXO, and then based on that asterisk should be
> able to turn on the MWI on any ohter device within asterisk. It would
> work something like this:
> /etc/asterisk/zapta.conf:
> detecttelcovoicemail=Sip/101,Zap/5
>
> On 8/3/06, Paul Davidson <planac at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:52:53 -0400 (EDT)
> > > From: Bob Bosiljevac < bob at akn.ca>
> > > Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Detecting voicemail from CO on FXO port
> > >         and     passing to H.323 phone. Possible?
> > >         < asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>

> waiting
> > at the
> > H.323
> > >
> > > I assume that by the lack of response, there is no way to pick up on
> the
> > > vocemail waiting signalling from the CO on a FXO zap channel. Can
> somebody
> > > confirm this.
> > >
> > > Bob.
> > >

> > Interesting concept- but outside the present design principles of
> Asterisk.
> > What that would imply is that Asterisk could be bridged (with
> configuration,
> > not code) to an external voice mail system- most of the focus here is
> using
> > Asterisk as a voicemail system for other PBX's.  While Asterisk does
> have a
> > way to indicate voicemail to a given phone (I haven't tried an h.323phone,
> > but it definitely works with SIP and IAX, and it shouldn't be impossible
> > make the zaptel driver recognize the stutter tone (if it doesn't
> already, I
> > haven't poked into that source), a whole new configuration dialect or
> > subdialect would have to be invented to convey the message between the
> two.
> > Simple dialplan should be able to give you a 'one click to pickup
> external
> > voicemail' type setup- it's the indication which Asterisk configs simply
> > don't understand presently.
> >
> > Nice little project for 1.6, if there's enough interest- I'd put it in
> as a
> > feature request in Mantis.
> >
> > -pbd

You're right- that is a simplified way of putting it (a subdialect, as it
were).  Point is, to my knowledge (I'll happily stand down if it is) that
support isn't presently there, and there hasn't been a huge rush of people
looking for it.  It's really only useful in the extremely small office
(SOHO) situation, or to someone who wants to integrate a non-asterisk VM
system with Asterisk- the converse of what most people here generally want
to do.  (I'd have to wonder why you'd do that, since Asterisk VM works so
well, and is easily customized to your needs).  I do have customers who
might see some advantage to it- but more in a unified messaging sort of way,
so that they could 'collect' all their voicemail, answering machines, etc,
into one storage location (asterisk) and use that to transport it out
again.  Plus, as someone else pointed out- it might not be stutter tone-
there are a few different ways of signalling voicemail on analog lines.  All
of which should be possible to handle in Zaptel drivers- but more research
would have to be done.

-pbd