[asterisk-users] IAX2 Trunking CPU usage

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Thu Aug 3 05:30:02 MST 2006

On 3 Aug 2006, at 09:14, Jon Schøpzinsky wrote:

> Hello
>
> Im trying to decide whether or not I want to use IAX2 trunking on
> our WRAP based customer computers.
> As it only has a 200mhz processor, I want to make shure that the
> trunking part does not affect call quality.
>
> Does anybody know if trunking is more CPU intensive than non trunking?

At a guess I'd say less cpu load from a trunked link.
I'm saying this because you will get fewer packets and hence
fewer interrupts, fewer context switches, so over all a saving
that will outweigh the additional frames asterisk will have to create
and copy data into.

This depends a bit on your ethernet card/driver of course.

If you are only passing a single call over the trunk, then you lose,
but only slightly.

The only other counter factor is that you have to have a timing source
to use trunking, which will generate some cpu load itself, again this
depends on your hardware.

Tim.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com