[asterisk-users] Codec selection / IAX tunnels

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Tue Aug 1 09:59:13 MST 2006

I use a provider, that allows me to use IAX tunnelling.

If I forward a call that uses G.729 and they are configured to allow
G.729 and ulaw, then ulaw will be negotiated (and the call is transcoded).
If I forward a call that uses G.729 and they are only configured to use
G.729, then (as expected) the call is transmitted using G.729.

Is there any way I can force the provider to accept G.729 for some
calls, and G.711 for others?

This appears to work if I have 2 tunnels set up, (one that is g729 only,
and one that is ulaw only), but I don't know if there are any
undesirable consequences (other than using more bandwidth).

Is there a more sensible approach to this?