[asterisk-users] MWI from Asterisk to Meridian

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Aug 1 06:48:44 MST 2006

Please keep responses to the list, so this can help everyone.

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 09:26, you wrote:
> Thak you for you response. My interconection between Asterisk (Voicemail)
> and my meridian is througth PRI T1, so the only stuff that i can't activate
> is the light in the meridian digital phones, i understand the asterisk see
> those phones like a external devices, but i don't know is somebody create o
> modify the SIP MWI and generate TDM messages to meridian.

This isn't about modifying Asterisk to work with the Meridian.  This is about
the Meridian simply having no way to accept that information from an external
trunk.  There are VM message centers but they are extraordinarily limited and
you can't give a unique one to every user, or even to a group of users.
They're line-based.  Similarly, you can buy an expensive NAPN or MCDN license
which will allow the Norstar to see a PRI as an internal trunk line, but now
you are running an undocumented and proprietary PRI signaling protocol called
SL-1.  It's what Norstar systems use to communicate with each other (imagine
two Norstar systems connected together over a leased T1).  We have no
documentation on it, and Nortel is very likely unwilling to give us the
information.

So, as I said, you are stuck using a Nortel ATA and an FXS port on Asterisk
and using a hookflash *1 sequence to toggle it.  Unfortunately the VM
callback # will be the ATA's DN, so only one person at a time can access
voicemail.

I spent some time digging into this last year, but came up without an
acceptable solution.  I may be forgetting or misremembering some of the
details but the end result is the same: you can hack something into it but
it's a shitty solution.

-A.