[Asterisk-Users] (Semi-OT) QoS Question FTP Living with Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Sat Apr 29 18:17:18 MST 2006

I have searched google and came up with too many options and packages
that may or may not work for my needs, most articles seem to be for
setting up routers.  Maybe someone on the list can give me some better
insight.

I have monitoring turned on my "shift eight (tm)" (Asterisk ;-)) box for
all calls.  We have over one hundred agents and tons of recordings in
wav format.  I also have a cron job that runs a script to mux the in and
out files and ftp them to a NAS device and it runs every five minutes.

The NAS device and the * box are both directly connected to a Cisco
Gigabit switch.  I have had complaints of calls fading in and out and
also cutting off.  After reviewing the recordings, some of these
complaints seem valid and I suspect the sheer bandwidth of the FTP
traffic is causing the issues.  I also run nagios checks on the box and
get ping warnings on a regular basis.

My question is, how can I throttle the FTP (Standard with dist)
transfers using out of the box CentOS4.3 (or any easy to use, low
learning curve package)?  I thought about FTPing the files at less
frequent intervals but that just makes the issue less frequent but last
longer.

I would like to accomplish throttling FTP on the Linux box with a
solution that is not too elegant since this is a production machine in a
busy call center.  If I cannot do it on the * box I guess my next step
is to see if the Cisco Gigabit switch has any QoS functionality.

Thanks,
Steve