[Asterisk-Users] How many asterisk process's are "normal"?

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Sat Apr 29 09:16:31 MST 2006

T.S wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have two test beds running the exact same version of asterisk 1.2.7.1,
> latest of zaptel, libpri, etc..
>

> Test bed #1 (Solaris 9,sparc ultra 5):
> This one is closer to a "production" machine, in that it is connected to a
> sip provider thru an iax2 connection and have an incoming DID configured. I
> can send and receive calls.
>
> Test bed #2 (Slackware Linux 10.2, AMD XP chip):
> This is what I will eventually move over to since it is supported more. This
> machine is on a different network and not connected to the other test bed at
> all.
>
> What I found is that on test bed #2, I have 18 processes of asterisk running
> with absolutely no soft-phones connected to it, and 2 processes of mpg123 on
> hold music running.
>
> 	root at aldur:/usr/local/src# ps -aef |grep asterisk |wc -l
> 	18
> 	root at aldur:/usr/local/src#
>
> 	root at aldur:/usr/local/src# uptime
>  	08:57:55 up 2 days,  6:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>

> On Test bed #1, I have exactly 1 process of asterisk running with no phones
> connected to it.
>
> 	hshaw at kaltorak:~> ps -aef |grep asterisk |wc -l
>        1
> 	hshaw at kaltorak:~>
>
> 	hshaw at kaltorak:~> uptime
>   	8:57am  up 6 day(s),  8:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01
>

> Nothing earth shattering, but strange. I assuming that 1 process at idle (no
> phones making calls and such) should be "normal" right?
>
> Terrelle

This has been discussed a lot, in fact someone brought it up lastnight
on the #asterisk IRC channel.

Depending on a few factors your system will either show threads as other
processes, or not at all. So essentially on some systems more then one
Asterisk process will show up, and on others only one. As long as your
Asterisk is running happily - then it's fine, multiple threads are started.

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer
jcolp at digium.com