[Asterisk-Users] Basic Linux Advice

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Apr 28 08:52:05 MST 2006

Thczv F. Thczv wrote:
> I have an old broken laptop that I am attempting to turn into a mostly
> solid state Asterisk box, mainly because I am worried about the fans
> or hard drive in my other Asterisk box failing (I already lost one
> power supply).  The laptop has no screen or hard drive.  But it does
> have USB and a bootable CD-ROM drive.  It is a Pentium 233, with 64 MB
> of RAM.  I have a PCMCIA ethernet card in it.  I hooked it up to a
> separate monitor.  I booted knoppix 3.7 into CLI mode, and everything
> seemed to be
> working fine, including the network.
>
> A full Asterisk install won't work on this computer, so I need
> something light.  I had my eye on Astlinux, but it doesn't include
> PCMCIA support, which I need for my ethernet card.  So I think I want
> to rebuild Astlinux to include PCMCIA support.
>
> Here is the thing:  I have never done this before.  I don't know a lot
> about linux.  So I am asking for your advice: What is the best way for
> me to learn how to do this?
>
> I know I could find other solutions (I have considered running linux
> on a NSLU2).  But I like the idea of making something out of my
> obsolete hardware.  And I like the challenge and opportunity to learn
> something new.
>
> Would you smart linux people mind giving me some tips?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Dave,

	astlinux-users is probably the place for this question.  However, you
can try my new development environment.  It should be pretty easy to
recompile the kernel with PCMCIA support.  You should also compile the
pcmcia tools, which it includes:

http://www.astlinux.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=38

--
Kristian Kielhofner