[Asterisk-Users] RESOLVED - TE405P vs. SoundCard problem (in reality - TE405P No Voice Problem)

Bob McDowell bmcdowell at federalprotection.com
Fri Apr 28 07:44:03 MST 2006

Forget the sound card.  It isn't related.  The subject above should have
read 'TE405P No Voice Problem' or something similar.  It appears to be a
zaptel timing issue, but I have found a workaround.  For those of you
just tuning in, here is the story:

I have a CentOS/Intel 865 box currently running Asterisk 1.2.7.1 and zap
1.2.5, both compiled from the source available off the main page at
(www.asterisk.org).  It is being built to house one TE405P and three
TDM's.

In any PCI configuration, in any IRQ assignment, and whether or not a
sound card is present, the TE405P being present meant no voices of any
kind.  No voicemail prompt, no Playback(), no Background(), etc.  This
is true even when no other cards of any kind are present in the system.
Phone to phone calls always work perfectly over both SIP and PSTN.  If
you shutdown, remove the TE405P and boot again, everything works.  Add
the TE405P and again you have no voices.  This is despite and
combination of the variables mentioned above.

I found a post on the forum that alluded to a similar problem:
(http://forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=5607&highlight=sound).  In
that post, 'zvika' says:

"The problem was that zaptel was loading all the drivers.
Resolution:
Edited file: /etc/sysconfig/zaptel and commented all modules except the
one I use.

Looking at the code the problem is due to a set timer that uses zaptel
driver.
It looks that some combinations of drivers simply leave the timer
waiting..."

This wasn't quite the fix for me, because even when only the 'wct4xxp'
module was the only one loaded, I still had no voices.  This did,
however, give me an interesting idea.

Assuming that the 'wct4xxp' timing was my issue, I started to hope that
the 'wctdm' timing might somehow be used instead.  I have had no problem
with the 'wctdm' thus far.  Knowing that the 'wct4xxp' module was
/etc/sysconfig/zaptel and a reboot fixed everything right up.  I now
have all the modules loaded and working voices.  I simply had to make
sure that the 'wctdm' module loaded before the 'wct4xxp'.

I assume that this works because Asterisk only needs one timing source,
but as I am just a caveman, I can't say for sure.

Thanks,

Bob McDowell

             *** PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL CLIENT COMMUNICATION ***

This e-mail message and all attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged material and are intended only for the intended recipient.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail or by calling  (417) 869-9192 and destroy the original and any copies of this e-mail.