[Asterisk-Users] Seize phone line

Joe Pukepail pukepail at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 06:28:34 MST 2006

I have a question, we have some locations were I'm just planning on putting
in a PRI, management also wants analog lines incase the PRI is down and
someone calls 911.  Is there a way to use asterisk to seize a phone line
from the fax machine?

 I don't want to have to have an analog line that only gets used in the very
rare situation with the PRI being down and someone needed to dial 911 (other
incoming and outgoing calls would be routed over a private T1 to another
location), but I don't want to just tap into the fax line because there is a
chance that someone could be sending or receiving a fax at the same time.

I found this: http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_LSR-1.htm  on an internet
search, anyone have any experience with this (or something similiar)?  Would
it work with asterik?

On a related issue, at locations where we have 3 or 4 phone lines connected
to asterisk and they are all in use and someone dials 911 we want it to
disconnect one of the active calls so the 911 call can be made.   Does
anyone know how to do this?  Would I need to use a device like the above or
is there a way in software to do this?