[Asterisk-Users] Early media after a dial command

Benjamin Lawetz blawetz at teliphone.ca
Wed Apr 26 08:17:22 MST 2006

Hello all,

I've been playing around with early audio, and I'm able to get some things
working

We have PSTN calls coming in to asterisk in SIP from a Cisco AS5300. If I do
the following:

Exten => i,1,Playback(ss-noservice,noanswer)
Exten => i,2,Congestion(15)
Exten => i,3,Hangup()

The PSTN caller does not get an answered call (doesn't get billed) but hears
the ss-noservice message.

But the early media fails when I try to do the following:

Exten => 100,1,Dial(SIP/100,15)
Exten => 100,2,Playback(standby,noanswer)
Exten => 100,3,Dial(SIP/cell at external,20)

The PSTN caller hears the ringing for the time of the 3 priorities (20s+15s+
time of "standby" sound file)

My guess is the cisco is receiving a 183 "Ringing" and generates (or the
remote PSTN side generates) a ring tone until the call is answered.
Is there any way to get to have early media passed once a ringing is
generated?
Would there be a way to have asterisk generate the ring tone as early media
to the switch to the "standby" message in early media?

Thanks for your help
Benjamin