[Asterisk-Users] About Softphone IAX free for Pocket PC

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 09:06:30 MST 2006

On 4/25/06, Kerry Garrison <support at techdatapros.com> wrote:
> Unless you have a top of the line Pocket PC don't even bother. Most
> inexpensive units like the T-Mobile MDA just don't have the processing power
> to handle VoIP. I have tried ESJPhone, SJPhone, and some other one which I
> forgot about already and the sound quality was horrible regardless of using
> GPRS or WiFi. That would have been a great benefit to me but its just not
> going to happen on a device that barely runs Windows Mobile as it is.
>
> Kerry Garrison

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I was very pumped about being able to
use VoIP over WiFi on the PPC-6700 (which has a 416 MHz cpu), but the
phone's processor just didn't seem to be able to keep up with the RTP
stream. It was really unusable; I ended up having to cancel the
service and return the device, which was a real shame, because the
phone and the EV-DO data service worked quite well in general
otherwise.

-Rusty