[Asterisk-Users] Really Old Rotary Phone

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Apr 25 08:43:45 MST 2006

Rusty Dekema wrote:

>On 4/25/06, Sean Cook <scook at kinex.net> wrote:
>

>Now, I think the question is, does your ATA actually support
>rotary/pulse dialing? Mine (SPA-2000) did not.

Most/all of the SIP based ones seem not to.

> I bought a (very cheap)
>MITEL-1 "Smart Dialer" and went through a RIDICULOUS amount of pain
>trying to configure it to convert from pulse to DTMF dialing, and it did sort of work although I never seemed to be able to get it
>configured exactly the way I wanted it.

Several collectors with similar needs have had good results with the
SMART-1, though it can be painful, and there are MANY different
versions, even for the US market. The Euro one is reported to be
somewhat easier. Keep in mind that it was designed as a store and
forward dialer, so it works a little oddly in this application.

>I ended up getting a TDM400 with a couple of FXS modules (which I had been needing to get anyway), and that worked perfectly after patching the pulse-dial debounce code in Zaptel (although I believe the newest version of Zaptel already comes with the needed changes).

Dial speed and make-break ratio were also problems with older dials

>If there are ATAs that support pulse dialing, I'd like to know about it, because now I would like to be able to use my pulse phone in locations other than the physical location of my Asterisk machine with the TDM400 card in it. So if you find that yours works, could you please let me know?

Let the list know. There are others with a similar requirement.
The IAXy is the only one I have found that supposedly supports pulse dial.

John Novack