[Asterisk-Users] Sangoma A200 preventing Zap channels from disconnecting immediately after PSTN line hangs up (getting empty voicemails)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Apr 25 05:19:50 MST 2006

Mike,
As someone else mentioned, the delay in getting the disconnect from the
CO is a function of the CO equipment and there isn't much you can do
about that. In one of my test cases from yesterday, disconnect came
within three seconds of the pstn phone hanging up.

I'd have to guess that some CO switches probably have some form of
timeout parameter that is applied to the entire switch, and the
parameter probably has something to do with limiting internal switch
issues, conflicts with flash, etc, etc. I'd also guess the delay can
probably be traced to specific CO switch vendors, model of switch, etc.
In the old electro-mechanical switches, disconnect would happen within a
second or two.

If a pstn caller listens to someone's entire voicemail greeting and then
hangs up, you're going to be stuck with an empty voicemail of whatever
duration that you have maxsilence set to in voicemail.conf. Don't think
there is anything you can actually do about that.

Rich