[Asterisk-Users] Dialing Ring Groups from the Digital Receptionist-

Maxx Lobo maxx at arraycomm.com
Mon Apr 24 20:45:58 MST 2006

Hi!

I've got a number of extensions (about 50) on a working Asterisk setup.
For each user, I have two extensions configured (for example 11021 for a
Cisco 79XX phone and 11022 for X-Lite), and a ring group that ties the
two extensions together (for example, 1102). Reason being that if the
user is away from his/her desk or working offsite, they can answer the
soft phone on the PC.

 From an inside SIP extension (say 11071) I can dial 1102 and have it
ring both 11021 and 11022, and this setup works well. But when I call
the external number and get the digital receptionist, I cannot dial 1102
and have it ring both extensions - I have to either specify 11021 or 11022.

So my questions:

1. Clearly it is possible to setup an option in the digital receptionist
and have it dial 1102 ("press 3 for Bob" - dial 1102), but this doesn't
scale well for 50 users.
So is there a way to dial 1102 from the digital receptionist and have it
ring both 11021 and 11022?

2. Is there another way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, ie. have
two extensions per user, then dial them both simultaneously, and leave
it up to the user to decide which one to answer - and do this from a
phone NOT connected to the VoIP system?

I appreciate your responses.

Thanks-

--Maxx