[Asterisk-Users] New backport of T.38 fax passthrough functionality to asterisk-1.2.7.1

Adolfo R. Brandes arbrandes at instant.com.br
Sun Apr 23 12:58:27 MST 2006

(This is a shameless copy-paste from the note I posted on
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5090)

I have again backported the whole T.38 shebang to the stable branch.  The port was
based on two versions of the t38passthrough branch: r19125, the latest
unconflicted automerge, and r13623, the latest version without the new chan_sip
flag structure.  Basically, the port contains everything that matters, EXCEPT:

* chan_sip.c: r15282, new flag structure (not the point of this backport)
* chan_sip.c: r15329, handle_common_options for the T.38 stuff (due to lack of new
flag structure)
* chan_sip.c: PCAddach's sip-t38-5.diff or simishag's t38-19892 (it was a
non-issue in stable).
* udptl.c: PCAddach's udptl-resend.diff (the jury's still out on that one)

Alert 1: I haven't fixed any bugs, just ported the current state of the
t38passthrough (actually, it's more likely I introduced a bug or two!).  This is
just so more people can afford to test the code, and thus help this bug move along.

Alert 2: I also haven't tested this anywhere near enough.  It compiles and runs,
but that's as far as I got.  Please test more.

Alert 3: For users of my previous 1.2.4 patch, mind that there is no longer a T38
CFLAG in the Makefile.  T38 support is compiled by default.  Nevertheless, you can
configure it on a per peer/user basis.

Untarring will create asterisk-1.2.7.1-t38-20060423/.  Copy the files therein to
your out-of-the-box asterisk-1.2.7.1; don't use a checkout with T38 patches
previously applied, or you'll get conflicts.  And then:

$patch -p0 < asterisk-1.2.7.1-t38-20060423.diff
$make
$make install

Disclaimer: I'm not the author of T.38 support in Asterisk, Steve Underwood is
(with the help of others such as Olle himself, as you'd see in the bugtracker).  I
just went through the drudge work of backporting the latest t38passthrough branch.

I have a question for Olle, though: the t38 branch stopped being automerged to
trunk a couple few weeks ago; is this intentional?

Thanks,
Adolfo