[Asterisk-Users] Power over Ethernet (PoE) switch recommendations

William M Conlon bill at tothept.com
Fri Apr 21 16:08:04 MST 2006

Beware.  Although the Polycom 501s will sink power over ethernet
(that is they are powered by a cable pair within a cable that
resembles ethernet), they are NOT IEEE 802.3af POE devices!!!!!  They
work on 12 volts (I think -- haven't measured it) instead of 48VDC.
So don't expect to buy a POE source and expect the phone to receive
power just by plugging in a patch cable.  They must be powered by the
Polycom voltage sources.

Nevertheless, here's what works for me:

Netgear FS108 :: Polycom injector cable :: RJ45 coupler :: patch
cable :: Polycom 501

Some notes:
1.  The Polycom injector cable should be plugged into a POE port on
the switch (the Netgear FS108 switch has both powered and unpowered
ports), or the Polycom injector will not source power.
2.  The Netgear FS108 is NOT sourcing power.
3.  The patch cable is a 50-foot CAT5.
3.  To beat a dead horse, the Polycom 501 itself, is NOT a POE phone,
IMHO.  Caveat emptor.

Bill

On Apr 21, 2006, at 8:07 AM, <james.texter at cox.net>
<james.texter at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi listers,
>     I am looking for people who have used Power over Ethernet
> switches, primarily in conjunction with Polycom IP 501's.  I've
> been looking at the Linksys SRW224P, since I've had good luck with
> the SRW224 in our office.  However, Nortel, Cisco, Adtran, etc. all
> have an offering, all of which vary in price.  I would appreciate
> any input people have to offer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Bill