[Asterisk-Users] confused about iax and voip providers termination

T. Shaw xytek at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 13:29:19 MST 2006

Hey guys,
I'm actively trying to get the "big" picture on how all this works and
relates to each other.
I've gone through some basic examples from the book and from the sample
files just fine.
Now, I've setup an account with a VOIP provider which does IAX termination
(exgn.net)

After getting an account and following their steps, I can make calls out
using my IAX (cubix) and Sip (Xlite) phones.
However, I'm a bit confused on the purpose on how my box asterisk box is
involved. I completely turned off my Asterisk box, and made a call out using
either of my softphones and I was successful. So I gathered that the entire
point of "iax termination" is solely for INBOUND calls TO ME (such if I have
a DID). Otherwise I'm just using them as a proxy to forward my sip traffic
to them directly from my desktop.

I got confused because all references I have seen regarding "iax
termination" and such involved editing your local asterisk box configs as
well as the client, but really no clear mention that your config changes
only apply to INBOUND calls, and not needed if you want to just make
OUTBOUND
Sip calls. I want to do BOTH eventually, but since I still have this
learning curve, it was just another stumble for me.

Do I have the correct picture now?
Thanks!

Terrelle Shaw