[Asterisk-Users] some EICON Diva 4BRI questions

Fri Apr 21 05:14:00 MST 2006

Hi Armin!

Thanks for the detailed answers and isdn for Linux basics.  I will take
the opportunity to ask some more questions :-)

On Fri, April 21, 2006 12:24, Armin Schindler said:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>> 3. Is the PIN layout for TE or NT mode?
>
> It is TE PIN layout, you need a crossed cable with 100Ohm termination for
> NT-mode.

Why do I need a cable with 100Ohm termination? Shouldn't be the
termination inside the DIVA Server? Until now (with quadbri and other isdn
card) I only used CAT5 cables with BRI-crossover PIN layout. No resistors.
Can you please explain this a little bit more or give me links to the
wiring basics?

>> 6. Difference between V-4BRI and 4BRI: As far as I understand the 4BRI
>> is the
>> better (more expensive) card which also offers FAX on/offramp.
>> Nevertheless I
>> can use V-4BRI for faxing when using spandsp. Both cards do support
>> onboard
>> echo cancellation. Are this assumptions correct?
>
> Yes.

This means all kind of B-channel data (human voice, modem, fax, data ...)
can be handled in pass-through also with the V-4BRI card?

>> - For the hardware part there are also 2 choices. Either use the Eicon
>> drivers
>> included in 2.6 and divactrl or use the source packages from eicon and
>> the
>> tools included. Here I'm not sure which method is better. Further I do
>> not
>> know how this is related with isdn4linux or other linux ISDN stuff.
>> From:
>> http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/slnxen/asterisk.asp
>
> The in-kernel driver in 2.6 is the so called v2 driver from Melware. This
> driver works very good. But the driver from Eicons sourceRPM (Melware
> calls
> it v3) is the newer one with many more features, more supported cards,
> newer
> firmware... (like RTP support which is used with newer chan-capi-cm as
> well).

On the Eicon homepage I find to source packages: version 7.7 (they call
ist stable) and version 8.0 (they call it beta). To which one of these do
you refer with "v3"? Or is there another version somewhere hidden on the
homepage?

What is meant with "newer firmware"? Is there a new firmware available
which must be flashed into the cards?

Is the new v3 ready to use in production environment?

thanks
klaus