[Asterisk-Users] some EICON Diva 4BRI questions

David Waugh David.Waugh at eicon.com
Fri Apr 21 02:45:45 MST 2006

Hello Klaus,

I will answer your questions In turn:

1. Do Eicon DIVA (V-)4BRI cards support TE and NT mode?
Yes they do.

2. Can the clock (master/slave) be configured independent from the mode
(TE/NT)
No

3. Is the PIN layout for TE or NT mode?
The PIN layout is for TE mode

4. When I change the mode (implies 'YES' for question 1), will this also

change the polarity on the connectors or do I have to use a
BRI-crossover cable?
You would need to use a crossover cable.

5. If a call is bridged from BRI->BRI, is it done directly on the BRI
card or via Asterisk
It is done on the card.

6. Difference between V-4BRI and 4BRI: As far as I understand the 4BRI
is the better (more expensive) card which also offers FAX on/offramp.
Nevertheless I can use V-4BRI for faxing when using spandsp. Both cards
do support onboard echo cancellation. Are this assumptions correct?

The difference between the Diva Server V-Series and the normal Diva
Server cards is that you can only use the V-Series for Voice
applications. You can not fax with a V-Series card. If you try and fax
with a V-Series card you will get an error.

Usage in Asterisk: please correct me if I'm wrong:
- Communication between the DIVA cards and Asterisk always happens via
the CAPI interfaces.

- For the Asterisk part I have the choice of chan_misdn or
chan_capi(-cm). After reading I come to the conclusion that
chan_capi(-cm) should work better.

Yes it is best to use chan-capi-cm as this is developed by the people
(Melware) who also develop the Eicon CAPI driver.

- For the hardware part there are also 2 choices. Either use the Eicon
drivers included in 2.6 and divactrl or use the source packages from
eicon and the tools included. Here I'm not sure which method is better.
Further I do not know how this is related with isdn4linux or other linux

ISDN stuff. From:
http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/slnxen/asterisk.asp

-Eicon can only support it's own drivers - therefore if you require
support from Eicon, we would always recommend that you use the Drivers
from Eicon.

1. "Ensure that you do not have the ISDN4Linux driver or the HiSax
driver installed."   What is the ISDN4Linux driver? Is is something
generic in Linux or do they talk about a certain ISDN4Linux driver for
Eicon cards?

The ISDN4Linux project was an open source project that allowed you to
use the Diva cards. These drivers are not supported by Eicon and we
don't have any experience in using them. HiSax is anther open source
project for ISDN drivers.

2. " ...install the isdn4k-utils-devel package...". What is isdn4k ?
I'm a little bit confused about what I have to install.

This is just a package that contains the capi.h file that is needed to
compile the chan_capi-cm driver.

Thanks for clarifications

regards
Klaus

I have some (short) question about the Eicon DIVA (V-)4BRI cards I want
to have (short) answered before buying the DIVA card. I know there are
several Eicon guys active on the list, thus I ask on the list instead of

directly to Eicon so that all other will benefit as well.