[Asterisk-Users] attended transfer issue

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Wed Apr 19 10:32:24 MST 2006

________________________________

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com on behalf of Eric "ManxPower" Wieling
Sent: Wed 4/19/2006 8:47 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] attended transfer issue

John Novack wrote:

> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>
>> John Novack wrote:

>> Our receptionist does both blind and attended transfers with Polycoms
>> all the time.  In later versions of the Polycom SIP firmware: Attended
>> transfer: while on a call press the Transfer key, dial the
>> destination, talk, then press the transfer key again.  For Blind:
>> while on call, press transfer key, then the Blind key, dial, hangup.
>
> All well and good, but that is awkward.
> The point is/was that doing a transfer, talk or not, transferee answer
> or not, the transferer should be able to hang up and the call NOT get
> lost, the transfer complete and ring then overflow to voice mail.
> Easier on ALL users and the way hybrid systems have worked for many a year

This is just the way Polycom does transfers.  Older versions of the
Polycom firmware worked as you describe.  I think it was in 1.6.x where
they changed things to separate blind and attended transfers.  It really
has nothing to do with Asterisk at all.

Understand, but the point was that every SIP device has its own method, and it would be nice if asterisk had a blind/attend transfer feature as described so we are not dependent on the SIP UA vendors to try and normalize the world. If asterisk had the featuer we would not care that every SIP phone does it differently ,there would be one sure method that users could learn that wouild be consistent from device to device.