[Asterisk-Users] What's the best way to combine multiple VOIP lines into a single number?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Apr 19 09:47:40 MST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 12:23, Leo Burd wrote:
> I'm new to Asterisk and I'm wonder what's the best way to combine multiple
> VOIP lines into a single phone number...

Do you mean VOIP lines as in "numbers my customers can call to get to me" or
VOIP lines as in "multiple providers I can call out through" ?

If it's the former, you have to work with the origination provider(s) to see
if they can provide a "rollover" or "hunt" or "equivalence" or "ringdown"
across the numbers.  All of those terms are roughly equivalent, it just
depends on who you talk to as to what term they understand.  However, I doubt
very much you'll have much luck getting them to provide such service unless
they're from the same provider.

If it's the latter, you can use plain old extension logic to Dial out one and,
if it can't complete, fail over to the next.

> I currently have 4 incoming VOIP lines, each one with a different number.
> Ideally, I would love to provide my customers with a single number for all
> those lines.  Is that possible?  If so, would anyone give me directions or
> send me a dialplan example explaining how to do that?

Sounds like the former.  Good luck.  :-)

-A.