Faxing and PCI (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Digium cards,

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Wed Apr 19 02:48:35 MST 2006

Olivier Krief wrote:
> 2006/4/18, Doug Lytle <Support at drdos.info <mailto:Support at drdos.info>>:
> Thank you very much for the explaination.
>
> 1. Does using iaxmodem imply that, for example, incoming fax calls are
> processed that way ?
> - PSTN calls are terminated on TDM board (Digium, Sangoma, ...)
> - the media flow (G711 as it comes from PSTN) is forwarded without any
> modification to the right instance of iaxmodem software process
I'm using SLIN, but ulaw/alaw would be acceptable.

> - iaxmodem process are "managed" by hylafax application but are seen
> and identified by Asterisk as IAX softphones (during above mentioned
> registration)
> - media is processed once, according hylafax config (that often means
> forwarded to printer or email), after a single "move" from TDM board
> to server processor through PCI bus

On incoming, I'm using a macro to handle all 23 lines.

exten => _50XX,1,Macro(faxreceive,${EXTEN}, ${CALLERIDNUM})

[macro-faxreceive]

exten => s,1,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem.com01/${ARG1})
exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem.com02/${ARG1})
exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem.com03/${ARG1})
exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem.com04/${ARG1})
exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem.com05/${ARG1})
exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem.com06/${ARG1})
exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem.com07/${ARG1})
exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem.com08/${ARG1})

If the first modem is busy, jump to the next.  If all are busy, then
play a busy signal and hang up.

> 2. If it's correct, fax speeds and protocols (V29, G3, ...) are
> defined by hylafax and iaxmodem

Yes.  The iaxmodem configuration files specify the protocols and speeds
allowed.  I have mine fixed at 9600.  I'm not sure about G3 though.
> .
> So, how do hylafax-iaxmodem speeds and protocols compare with those
> from a standard fax machine ?
> I mean, if you had bought a new fax machine and had it connected to
> the PSTN, would you get a different set of speeds and protocols ?

Don't know, never tested.  I don't have experience with our current fax
hardware.

> 3. How do iaxmodem and rxfax-txfax DSP functions compare ? Are they
> using the same library ? Is there any standard allowing iaxmodem or
> rxfax-txfax to benefit from hardware DSP inside TDM board ?

As far as I know, iaxmodem uses SpanDSP, so they should be identical.
Lee would be the one to answer technical questions.

> 4. How would that scale ? Up to 30 Calls ? Are incoming or outgoing
> faxes more demanding ? Any hardware recommended ?

I've been focusing on incoming, but this weekend I will be setting up a
few more work stations to help on the outgoing testing.

Doug

-- Ben Franklin quote: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to
purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."