Faxing and PCI (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Digium cards,

Olivier Krief olivier.krief at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 08:35:53 MST 2006

2006/4/18, Doug Lytle <Support at drdos.info>:

> Nicholas Kathmann wrote:

> > Both hylafax and * are on the same machine and using the same PSTN
> > interfaces (whether T1 or TDM).  It uses iaxmodem to communicate
> > between the two systems (imagine a softmodem).  I'll create separate
> > extensions for the iaxmodems, then either map the numbers (or channels
> > off the TDM cards) to dial those extensions.  You can also use the fax
> > extension on your default incoming to dial the iaxmodem.  Faxgetty
> > then listens to the iaxmodem to receive faxes, and uses hylafax to
> > send them to the appropriate email addresses, printers, etc.  In most
> > cases I'll set up separate PSTN numbers for incoming faxes, but the
> > fax extension also works relatively well.  The only time I've ever
> > seen problems with faxes (or modems) is when trying to use a SIP or
> > IAX provider over the internet.  To connect the analog fax machines
> > I'll either use a linksys PAP2
>
> Please, forgive my ignorance but could you elaborate how your system would
be working ?
I've read a lot about fax and Asterisk but I'm not sure I exactly got it
(specially with iaxmodem and hylafax integration).

Do you mean that :
1. incoming calls would be routed according callee's extension (extensions
are dedicated either to fax or voice applications) and only with that rule ?
2. you would exclusively connect existing fax machines to SIP ATA's and hope
offering users the ability to fax from software applications, would decrease
SIP ATA's use inconvenients ?

Cheers
Olivier