[Asterisk-Users] te110p and interrupts

Paul Hewlett paul at cottonpickinminds.co.za
Mon Apr 17 10:18:44 MST 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 12:39, Anton Krall wrote:
> I don't know if this only works with multiple cpus but I have HT enabled
> and it shows cpu0 and cpu1 .. I tried the first part of this email and
> still the kernel boots and shows 2 cpus.. Will this only work with 2 real
> cpus?

   I believe so. Hyperthreading is not really SMP.

   Additionally I think that HT should not be used if asterisk is doing a lot
of transcoding - whilst HT gives u 2 'pipes' there is still only one FPU and
heavy transcoding will simply bottleneck at the FPU(NB SSE/MMX count as FP
since they use the FP registers.). If u turn HT on, a 1% penalty is incurred
fir the mutexes required so heavy use of the FPU will actually show a
decrease in speed compared to no HT. In theory at least. :-)

Paul Hewlett