Faxing and PCI (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Digium cards, so disappointing !)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Apr 17 04:44:38 MST 2006

Remco Barende wrote:
>>     So, to document this, the likelihood of a fax working goes in this
>> order best to worse:
>>
>>     1. POTS -> fax
>>     2. POTS -> FXO-TDM400P-FXS -> fax
>>     3. T1 -> TE410P -> channel bank -> fax
>>     4. T1 -> TE110P -> PCI -> TE110P -> channel bank -> fax
>>     5. T1 -> TE110P -> PCI -> TDM400P-FXS -> fax
>>
>>     6. T1 -> TE110P -> PCI -> Ethernet/IP -> IAXy -> fax
>>     7. FXO-TDM400P -> PCI -> Ethernet/IP -> IAXy -> fax
>>
>>     Is this a correct?  If it's not a PCI problem then there shouldn't be
>> much of a difference between options 3 and 4.  If it's a card issue then
>> it would be nice to know which T1 cards handle fax better than others.
>
> Yes, BUT!!!  be aware that if you have an E1 pri from your telco a T1
> channel bank will not help anything. In this case (your option 3) native
> bridging will be possible and asterisk will have to transcode giving you
> the some problems again.....

I don't believe you will ever get POTS -> FXO-TDM400P-to-anything to
work properly due to TDM card limitations. So, move all of those to the
bottom of your list.

If you pay close attention to those postings from the last two years in
which users say "fax works", the majority of them (if not all) are based
on either a T1/E1 pstn connection, or, another piece of external
hardware that causes fax transmissions to bypass the TDM card.