[Asterisk-Users] asterisk or ser

Yair Hakak yair at hakak.com
Sat Apr 15 10:11:08 MST 2006

hi,
 SER is less about the number of callers than it is about the number of
registered sip clients. Without NAT issues a pizza box server with SER can
essentially register an unlimited number of SIP clients.
With larger numbers of SIP clients i find SER handles them much better than
asterisk.

Now, i know this is unorthodox, but i route EVERY call through asterisk,
even calls between SER users, for a few reasons:
1. billing - asterisk is much better at keeping CDRs
2. call control - asterisk can stay in the media path if neccesary, SER
won't (by default, although you can use a b2bua), and for things like prepay
calling cards this is a neccesity.
3. significantly easier to use dialing logic.

on the down side, i still havent gotten my old setup with autocreatepeer=yes
in my sip.conf and rewritehostport in ser.cfg working on 1.2 - anyone have
any ideas about that?

hope this helps,

-yair