[Asterisk-Users] Digium cards, so disappointing !

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Sat Apr 15 07:59:13 MST 2006

>> record the sound fax machines make when negotiating (specifically the part
>> where they try to negotiate anything above
>> 9600 baud) and make a provision in asterisk (an extra letter added to the
>> Dial command?) that will make Asterisk monitor
>> the channel and listen for the fax nego sounds and have Asterisk distort or
>> mute the audio. This way all fax machines
>> would be forced to lower their speeds.
>
> Complex, clunky, and solves nothing.

Hmm not so sure of that. I have an HP all-in-one thingy. It is not
possible to set the TX/RX speed hard in the config at a certain speed.
Through the developers menu in the beast it is possible to do this
temporary.

Faxing at max 9600 bps works, anything higher fails miserably after the
second or third page.....

>> None of my fax machines are able to reduce their TX/RX speeds, if any
>> devices capable of capping the speed it would be a
>> nice addition to the wiki, I would instantly buy some all-in-one machines
>> that could do that
>
> Actually, they are all able to reduce their speed when they need to. They
> figure out for themselves what the path is capable of. Often in a slightly
> quirky way, but bugs are the mainstay of the FAX industry.

Indeed but asking HP to implement a cap on the TX/RX speeds is like
talking to a brick wall. I guess we will have to look for alternative
solutions!