Faxing and PCI (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Digium cards, so disappointing !)

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Sat Apr 15 06:17:20 MST 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>> 	What about a new line of Digium cards that have bridge cables that run
>> between the various cards and bypass the PCI bus?  Since one of the best
>> aspects of using Asterisk is standards.  This bridge cable should be
>> standardized and published so that other companies can adopt the
>> standard.  For example an ISDN card could bridge to a Digium T1 card.
>> Or a card that supported legacy digital phones could bridge to other
>> cards.
>
> That is called H.100, and it has existed for many years. It's also
> ludicrously expensive to implement, so you won't see it on Digium cards
> any time soon :-)

I heard that Junghanns is working on such an interconnection. It is
already possible to connect their PRI cards, and they are working on
BRI<->PRI.

I ise their bristuff for an HFC-S BRI card and am not happy at all with
the way they implemented timing, without applying the florz patch I have
lots of problems (lockups, lost line etc.)

My hesitation is with the driver, I think florz only fixes HFC-S if I
would run into similar trouble with PRI I would be in deep trouble.

But it would certainly fix faxing.

I have now ordered a TE210P and will try native bridging using a legacy
PBX for my faxing.

I hope this will solve my faxing nightmares. (I don't care if a solution
costs money, it just needs to work).

I think it would be a good idea if Digium would put some articles about
fax and possible solutions or work-arounds to fax problems on their
website.