[Asterisk-Users] still no solution for me, if one provider fails.

Peter J Dean peter.john.dean at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 15:39:32 MST 2006

> I have to this some questions:
> 1. I have not seen "n(tryiax01)" construction before. Can you
> explain it, please and how you give this to the macro?
> I know only exten => s,4,Goto(s-${DIALSTATUS},1)

tryiax01 is a reference label (which can be more meaningful for
other's such as tryprimaryprovider, etc), which makes it easier to
modify then extension flows without having to worry about static
numbering accuracy. This site might help you understand the n and
reference labels http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/
extensions_conf.html

> 2. Your macro covers only CHANUNAVAIL and CONGESTION
> There are more than that, like BUSY, CANCEL, NOANSWER, ANSWER
> What does each one of them exactly mean? When is it CONGESTION and
> when is it BUSY? When is CHANUNAVAIL and when NOANSWER? There is a
> very fine line between.

We have chosen taken the safe path to prevent accidental multiple
calls by means of only relying on the CHANUNAVAIL and CONGENSTION.
Which is based on our experience with our suppliers suggest that if
we use additional combinations, it results in accidental multiple
calls, when they are not required.

> 3. You are using the options tT the called and the calling party
> can transfer the call. When is important that the calling party can
> transfer a call? If we use tT or other options, we cannot use
> anymore canreinvite=yes   - or when and when can we not do that?
> I did not add any options to my users, however, if they do not hear
> the ring, they are not happy! On the other side, I cannot route all
> calls through my *

Mmmm, not sure what your issue could be, but we do not permit Phone-
to-Phone calls but rather phone-to-asterisk-to-phone, which requires
the phones configurations to point to the asterisk server for inbound
and outbound calls

and the following within the sip.conf;

promiscredir    = yes
reinvite        = no
canreinvite     = no

We have found that promiscredir is required for call forwarding on
our ip phones which are SNOM 320 and 360's.

> 4. If a call cannot be completed, than I would like to know it!!!
> I tried to accomplish that once:
>     ;exten => _9011Z.,513,SYSTEM(mail -s 'VPBX all lines in use'
> ronald at elmit.com)
> However, this did not work. Do you know what I made wrong here?

Ronald, I would suggest samples of your log files, as more
information is required to help workout your issues.

Also after playing with mail at the CLI of Linux suggests that the
mail program is expecting a message, the following appears to work
from the CLI,

	/bin/echo -n " " | /bin/mail -s 'VPBX all lines in us' ronald at elmit.com

so to expand it to the system command,

SYSTEM(/bin/echo -n " " | /bin/mail -s 'VPBX all lines in us'
ronald at elmit.com)