Faxing and PCI (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Digium cards, so disappointing !)

Jeff Gustafson ncjeffgus at zimage.com
Fri Apr 14 14:07:31 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 15:35 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Jeff Gustafson wrote:
>
> > 	My fault.  I meant to say PCI-e, which is a newer bus that Dell is
> > shipping on their server class machines.
>
> Right. That is not supported by any Digium products yet, but it still
> won't help the FAXing issue, since the issue is _not_ PCI bus bandwidth.
> In fact, the FAXing issue is really more a problem with specific card
> designs and other system issues than it is with the bus at all.

	If it's card design issues, then it is something that could be fixed in
the future with newer designs.  If it's other system issues, that makes
it more difficult to fix.
	If a fax comes in to a port on a Quad T1 board and goes out of another
port on the same card to a channel bank then that should be an optimal
setup, correct?
	So, to document this, the likelihood of a fax working goes in this
order best to worse:

	1. POTS -> fax
	2. POTS -> FXO-TDM400P-FXS -> fax
	3. T1 -> TE410P -> channel bank -> fax
	4. T1 -> TE110P -> PCI -> TE110P -> channel bank -> fax
	5. T1 -> TE110P -> PCI -> TDM400P-FXS -> fax

	6. T1 -> TE110P -> PCI -> Ethernet/IP -> IAXy -> fax
	7. FXO-TDM400P -> PCI -> Ethernet/IP -> IAXy -> fax

	Is this a correct?  If it's not a PCI problem then there shouldn't be
much of a difference between options 3 and 4.  If it's a card issue then
it would be nice to know which T1 cards handle fax better than others.

				...Jeff