[Asterisk-Users] Music on hold problem

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Apr 13 09:36:50 MST 2006

Don Pobanz wrote:

> I believe I am using MP3. My musiconhold.conf file looks like this
>
> [default]
> mode=quietmp3
> directory=/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3

Daniel and Don,

Try switching to native MOH.  You'll eliminate the decoding of the MP3s
and the host of problems that come along with using mpg123.  The MOH is
handled by the same thread that's handling the call, so you should see
an overall performance benefit.  Memory usage may go up a little, but I
don't think many Asterisk boxes are memory bound.

Here's a guide to converting your MOH files:
<http://www.oinko.net/astrecipes/index.php?n=152>

Since you're already running Asterisk 1.2, I don't see any reason not to
take advantage of this feature.  Please give it a shot and report your
results back to the list.

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer