[Asterisk-Users] OT: Polycom IP501 Config file error - Error is 0x4020 (during autoboot...)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Apr 12 14:18:06 MST 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 17:03, Jim Rice wrote:
> What, beyond RTFM, Google, list archives, Polycom support (yeah, right),
> and literally hours of trial and error?

How are we to know what you tried and didn't try?

> My intent was that if someone had seen this specific error, they would
> reply with a solution, or might then ask for more details.

When I used FTP provisioning for my ip501s this past weekend I ran into
several errors very similar to that one.  Pretty much every one of them was
due to screwups in the [macaddress].cfg file.

First, I tried just not having a bootrom.ld or sip.ld in the directory.  That
didn't get me very far at all, as I'd assumed the ip501 would just continue
with what it had if it couldn't find the code there.

Next, I'd tried to be smart and provide a directory for MISC_FILES, but that's
for listing misc files, not a directory for them.

Next, I'd tried to be smart and include an ipmid.cfg in the list of
CONFIG_FILES, but I didn't have one, and then it didn't like an empty one.

After that, I couldn't figure out why my settings weren't being seen.  Then I
read the docs a little more carefully and noted that they say the FIRST file
giving a config wins out, not the last one.  Oops.

My point is that while the Polycoms aren't known for their user-friendliness,
they do write out pretty decent logs in the directory given by
LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY, and their errors, while terse, do try to guide you in the
right direction.

> My apologies for asking twice.  But thank you for your observation.

No need to apologize, but those of use who do like to help are often
frustrated when those asking don't give enough (or any!) information to allow
us to help.  Even now, I don't see any paste of the 000000000000.cfg nor a
[specific_mac_addy].cfg, nor any mention of a tcpdump trace to show us what
the phone's actually requesting (and not getting).

We are here to help, but please... help us help you!

-A.