[Asterisk-Users] Performance: Xeon or Opteron?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Apr 12 07:13:50 MST 2006

RandyW wrote:

> Yep, there is a lot of chatter about how hardware "x" performs with
> Asterisk and while I/O is the primary mover, most designs today will
> handle the modest Asterisk install easily.   I've got a site where
> they use 6 lines and 15 users on a 500Mhz CPU w/512MB RAM and boot off
> a 2GB flash disk.
>
> VERY modest and absolutely dominates that particular install.
>
> Only in the larger installs will hardware be an issue, but even then
> it doesn't take much hardware (from a server perspective) to handle a
> LOT of Asterisk traffic.
>
> RandyW

The worst problem will be older hardware that doesn't play well with
Digium cards. The TDM400 is the one I have some experience with, and
even motherboards that are PCI 2.2 don't always see the TDM400
The Sangoma A200 seems more forgiving.
I have to wonder if the T1/E1 cards suffer  in a similar manner?

John Novack