[Asterisk-Users] call center running Asterisk - sound quality- critical!

Wai Wu wwu at Calltrol.com
Tue Apr 11 18:08:38 MST 2006

You got to be kidding about 53 calls being recorded at sametime is an issue. I have done at least twice as many on my dual xeon 3.4Ghz system and had no problem as clients like to record every call that goes through the system. Then again, in my system, the in and out channels are mixed first before they are written to the disk.

________________________________

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com on behalf of Matt Roth
Sent: Tue 4/11/2006 5:25 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] call center running Asterisk - sound quality- critical!

 >>On 4/10/06, Dov Bigio <dovb at terra.com.br> wrote:
 >>
 >>Hi,
 >>
 >>I am using Asterisk for a call center on a Dual Xeon machine..
 >>
 >>I currently have
 >>
 >>109 active channels
 >>53 active calls
 >>
 >>Every body is complaining about quality and cpu is around 80% idle.
 >>
 >>Is there any tuning I can do???
 >>
 >>Besides that, Asterisk normally goes down once or twice per day...
 >>
 >>Thank you
 >>
 >>Dov
 >>
 > C F wrote:
 >
 >From what you say it sounds that the problem is not with asteisk, but
 >the way it's configured. Asterisk should *never* go down that often.
 >Asterisk as a normal PBX should run without a restart for as long as
 >there is power to the box, in the case of a call center if I would
 >hear of a restart once a week I would accept it, but still would look
 >for ways of improving it beyond that.
 >
 >You complain about call quality, what type of phones are thes? What
 >codec? are they all local?

Dov,

I agree with the first response.  Your system is failing at an abnormal
rate.  Please share more information about your setup so that we can
help you.  Hardware, software, OS, configuration...there's no such thing
as too many details when trying to work out these problems via a mailing
list.

Information about what tasks you are asking Asterisk to perform and how
you have it configured to do so is vital.  In particular, I'm curious to
know if you're recording the calls using the Monitor() application?  53
concurrent calls being recorded directly to disk is about where things
start to go south (it's an I/O bottleneck, not CPU).  If you have a
Digium card in the box, make sure that it's not sharing an interrupt
with any other hardware.  The list and the wiki both have plenty of
information to help you with that.

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer