[Asterisk-Users] Why is the internet connection important to LAN and PSTN calls?

picciuX matteo at picciux.it
Tue Apr 11 08:36:28 MST 2006

because, a this time, the sip stack doesn't have asynchronous DNS... so ALL
the sip code is stucked waiting timeouts for DNS queries (that are long
timeouts).
When you try to dial a LAN device, the sip code is trying to resolve your
voISP service providers' addresses.
We workaround this putting all external sip peers in a separate file, say
"sip_peers.conf", included in sip.conf with "#include filename".
Then, a daemon on the box try to resolve well-known addresses on well-known
DNS servers on the net, every 5 minutes. If the demon fails ALL the
well-known DNS queries, it assumes no internet connection is available: then
it renames sip_peers.conf, and ask asterisk a "sip reload". So all external
sip references are out, and sip still continue working for internal phones.
Needless to say, when connection come up again, the daemon do the opposite
thing.

hope this helps