[Asterisk-Users] Choppy Sound when using linux router or asterisk

Lacy Moore - Aspendora aspendora at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 01:07:53 MST 2006

While the gurus are sleeping, I'll ask a few questions to get started...

I'm assuming this is using some kind of Voip, correct?  If not, can you let
us know what cards are involved?  What kind of phone?  Is it IP or analog?

But, to be honest, none of that should hinder performance.  What
distribution of linux are you using?  Do you have X loaded?  That's not a
good thing.  If strictly Voip, is ztdummy loaded?  I had some weird things
happening on a VMware session that I think was related to timing (music on
hold doing weird things).

Is this plain vanilla asterisk, an rpm somewhere, asterisk at home,
astlinux?

Any other info would greatly be appreciated.  In a "typical" situation, your
hardware should be fine with no tweaks needed.  That suggests something else
is at fault.

What speed is your network?  Do you have a hub or a switch?  Is this
wireless or wired?  What machine are you on doing the ssh to the router?
How many other services are running on the linux machines?  How many of
systems are connected to the network?